Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: OT: No Horns!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member dbale's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2007
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: No Horns!

    Have you ever tried "canned" venison?

    I'm not a big venison fan myself, but properly canned it gives beef a run for it's money.

    Hard to beat a well fed fall bird. I don't hunt them in the spring season. Hard winters like this past one render them pretty gamey and lean.

    Never tried canned venison.I'll stick with my favorite NY strips.

    The next time I get a turkey I'm going try skinning it as plucking takes to long.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: OT: No Horns!

    Skinning is the best way IMO with the wild birds, roasting them with the skin on tends to impart a bit of a gamey flavor that i don't care for. Lots of basting to keep it moist.

    It's pretty amazing to see how well the turkey has re-established in my area. I've been an outdoors person since i was able to walk, and was fortunate enough to have family members who introduced me to the woods as a young child. There were no turkey here back then. I was probably 11 or 12 years old when i saw my first native wild turkey. By the time i was old enough to hunt on my own license, a season had been established, and permits were awarded to license holders by lottery in limited numbers. Today you just buy a permit from the clerk, no more application or anticipation.

    Dust bath? Weird.
    Nearly all birds and several mammals do it. For the birds it is a cleansing process that helps process and distribute lipids in their plumage, it also helps control/repel parasites, particularly mites.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.